The Somerville Garden Club holds one of the best plant sales in the Boston area. Club members divide and donate time-tested favorites as well as plants they have just discovered.
When: September 20, 2014, 9 am – 1 pm
Where: Davis Square (at the intersection of College Ave. and Holland St.)
Instructions for Plant Donations:
- Put the plants (including houseplants) in an appropriate size pot, so that the roots aren’t sticking out of the pot. Pot up plants in August to ensure the roots will have settled in the soil, rather than coming out of the pot bare root.
- Add potting soil as needed.
- Water well but do not fertilize.
- Brush soil from the pot and wash the pot so it presents well.
- Cut off any wilted, browned or yellow foliage and cut back stems that have already, so the plant looks neat.
Each plant will need a label noting the following.
- name (latin and common)
- a description of the plant
- light requirements
- soil requirements (e.g. dry, watering tips)
- bloom time and color
- size when fully grown
- any other information the plant’s new owner will need (stake early in the season; leave to overwinter as food for the birds)
- Don’t hesitate to also note any particularly appealing characteristics!
You print out labels using this handy template: